Read original article on The New Indian Express or read some of the key points below;
- A 15-year-old Muslim girl in the US has accused school security of removing her hijab and handcuffing her after she had an altercation with a fellow student who called her a “terrorist”.
- The group said an altercation between the students ensued and the security guard intervened, along with the school resource officer, a police officer assigned to the school. “The security guard focused completely on her. He proceeded to grab her,” Jaylani Hussein, executive director of the Minnesota chapter of Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), said.
- She later stated that the school resource officer pulled off her hijab after putting handcuffs on her. “I’m scared for my safety at Apple Valley High School. I feel very threatened,” the girl was quoted as saying.
- The Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR-MN, want the security officer and the police officer investigated for allegedly using excessive force against the female Muslim student. The organisation said that it has received a dozen complaints from Muslim students at the school who feel unsafe due to the incident and others like it involving the same officer.
- A spokesperson for the Apple Valley area school district said the security guard was on leave pending the completion of an investigation into the fight last Thursday after the 15year-old sophomore was arrested and removed from the school.