Erdogan wins Turkish elections: What does this mean for Turkey?
Tragic – 800 Years Old – The Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul has been destroyed
Read original article on Al-Jazeera or read a quick summary below;
- The landmark Grand al-Nuri Mosque of Mosul and its leaning minaret have been blown up, with the Iraqi army blaming ISIL for its destruction and the armed group accusing a US-led coalition air raid.
- “Our forces were advancing toward their targets deep in the Old City and when they got to within 50 metres of the Nuri mosque, Daesh committed another historical crime by blowing up the Nuri mosque,” Staff Lieutenant General Abdulamir Yarallah, the overall commander of the Mosul offensive, said in a statement late Wednesday.
- In a statement on its Amaq website, ISIL blamed US aircraft for destroying the mosque.The US military denied the allegation. “We did not strike in that area,” coalition spokesman US Air Force Colonel John Dorrian told Reuters news agency by phone.
- Iraqis lovingly call the minaret Al-Hadba, or “the hunchback”. The mosque is named after Nuruddin al-Zanki, a noble who fought the early crusaders from a fiefdom that covered territory in modern-day Turkey, Syria and Iraq. The mosque was built in 1172-73, shortly before his death, and housed an Islamic school.
- Al Jazeera’s Bernard Smith, reporting from Erbil, said Iraqis were expressing their anger and outrage over the bombing on social media.”This is one of Iraq’s most important, historical symbols. Enormous anger here,” Smith said.
Become a KJ Patreon so we can produce more and better content
Like our Facebook page for exclusive updates:
Follow us on Instagram for our one minute vids:
Follow us on Twitter to be informed when we post: