Read original article by Abdur Rahman Alfa Shaban on the Africa News or read a quick summary below;
- “The Canadian government has officially launched a fundraiser to help combat famine in three African countries and Yemen.”
- “The fund was launched on Monday May 29, 2017. “For every eligible donation made by individuals to registered Canadian charities between March 17 and June 30, 2017, the Government of Canada will contribute an equivalent amount to the Famine Relief Fund,” the government noted.”
- “The aid is not restricted to only the four countries (Nigeria, South Sudan, Somalia and Yemen) but will also extend to countries in the Lake Chad region – Niger, Chad and Cameroon – as well as others in East Africa region – Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda.”
- “The government will use the fund to support experienced Canadian and international humanitarian organizations using established Global Affairs Canada channels and procedures,” an official statement read.”
- Canada is the second country to Canada to raise funds for drought-hit countries on the continent, the first was Turkey. Erdogan accused the West of playing ostrich when Africa was suffering during a visit by Somali President Mohamed Farmaajo to Istanbul.