Read original article by Jonathen Allen on Reuters or read a quick summary below;
- A man named Darwin Martinez Torres, 22, got into a dispute with a 17-year-old girl (according to the police) called Nabra Hassanen and a group of her friends in Sterling, Virginia.
- Martinez got out of the car and assaulted the girl.
- The girls were attending overnight prayers in observance of Ramadhan and were walking back from McDonalds when they encountered Martinez.
- “Something happened and he became upset,” Tawny Wright, a fairfax police spokeswomen said in a telephone interview, declining to elaborate on the dispute. “The group started separating a little bit. The victim happened to be closest to him and then he assaulted her.”
- Police arrested Martinez an hour or two later after he was seen driving suspiciously, and found what they believe to be the girl’s body later on Sunday in a nearby pond.
- The girl and her friends were dressed in abayas, the robe-like dress worn by some Muslim women, according to the Post, prompting fears the victim was targeted because she was Muslim.
- Fairfax police said on Monday morning they were not investigating the murder as a hate crime “Nothing suggests that this girl or the group was targeted because of who they are or what they believe,” said Tawny Wright.